Tuesday, July 15, 2008

October sounds nice and cool - Bicycle commuting plan

So here is the plan (already in progress).

I did a few days of riding around from home (boring). Mel showed me how to work all the things on the bike and he and Xander took it completely apart and rebuilt it to make sure it was safe for Mama.

To start, I am driving to my Mom and Opie's house in the morning (arrive by 6:30 am) and riding my bike from there and then doing the reverse in the afternoon. This is about 8 miles round trip and saves me about 5 miles a day in commuting (because I have to drive out of the way a little to get to Mom's). The advantage to starting from there is that it feels more familiar and I avoid a little more of Cary Parkway until I build up my riding skills.

After a couple of weeks of that I will start parking somewhere along my normal commuting route and riding from there, increasing the mileage every few weeks.

So it should be October or so before I am riding the whole 16 mile round trip. October sounds nice and cool anyway :-)

Miles ridden: 26

No comments: