Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Candy and Roaching



So I decided to go for the "clipless" pedals. Mel still makes fun of me for hating the ones on my mountain bike, but I am a seasoned rider now :-) I chose the Crank Brothers Candy SL - as lovely as they are functional!

I went out to practice, clipped in, rode around for a minute, came to stop in front of our house and promptly fell over right in front of the neighbors - I didn't get my foot out in time and you just tip over and fall on the ground. Mel affectionately calls this "roaching" because you end up on the ground looking like a cockroach with your feet still stuck on the pedals and the bike on top of you.

Apparently a lot of people fall like this while learning and it wasn't as tragic as I thought it would be. I continued to practice (after the neighbors finally finished unloading the groceries from their car) and fell one more time before I came in. I have some nices bruises and a slightly twisted ankle to show for it all.

I have ridden to work and back twice without falling and I am starting to get the hang of it. I am waiting for the time when I forget I am clipped in and fall down at a stoplight in front of plenty of drivers - it should be memorable!

To see what I am talking about watch these You Tube Videos. The last one is the longest, but it is funny seeing the clipless "virgin" fall over and over set to the tune of Abba's Dancing Queen.
Talk to you soon! Crissy




Miles ridden: 273

No comments: